- For the most part, information you submit to the Service will be available only to users you designate as KarmaKey ‘friends.’ ‘Friend’ relationships on the KarmaKey Service are bilateral, meaning each party must approve of the friend linkage before it is enabled. You can limit the amount of your KarmaKey Service activity that is shared with your KarmaKey friends through your privacy settings.
- In some limited cases, your KarmaKey Service activity is broadcast to the wider KarmaKey community. You can opt out of such broadcasts through your privacy settings.
- You can choose to broadcast your KarmaKey Service activity to third party services like Facebook or Twitter, or you can opt out of doing so through your privacy settings. You have full control on what KarmaKey Service activity is broadcast to third party services such as Facebook and Twitter.
What Personal Information Does KarmaKey Collect?
The information we gather from customers enables us to personalize and improve our services and to allow our users to set up a user account and profile that can be used to interact with other users through the Service. In connection with the Service, we request and display some personal information to other users and visitors of the Service, which allows users to identify each other. We collect the following types of information from our customers.
Personal Information You Provide to Us:
We receive and store any information you enter on our Service or provide to us in any other way. The types of Personal Information collected may include your name, user name, address, email address, phone number, IP address, use information and browser information. The Personal Information you provide is used for such purposes as allowing you to interact with other users, improving the content of the Service, customizing the advertising and content you see, and communicating with you about specials and new features. We may also draw upon this Personal Information in order to adapt the services of our community to your needs, to research the effectiveness of our network, and to develop new tools for the community.
Personal Information Collected Automatically:
- We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with our Service or services. KarmaKey automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser including your IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested.
- Generally, our service automatically collects usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of visitors to our site and its components, similar to TV ratings that indicate how many people watched a particular show. KarmaKey only uses this data in aggregate form, that is, as a statistical measure, and not in a manner that would identify you personally. This type of aggregate data enables us to figure out how often customers use parts of the Service or services so that we can make the Service appealing to as many customers as possible, and improve those services. As part of this use of information, we may provide aggregate information to our partners about how our customers, collectively, use our site. We share this type of statistical data so that our partners also understand how often people use their services and our Service, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal online experience. Again, KarmaKey never discloses aggregate information to a partner in a manner that would identify you personally.
We may receive a confirmation when you open an email from KarmaKey if your computer supports this type of program. KarmaKey uses this confirmation to help us make emails more interesting and helpful and improve our service. If you do not want to receive email or other mail from us, please indicate your preference during the registration process, by making a modification on your account settings page.
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our site are visited and by how many people. KarmaKey cookies do not collect Personal Information, and we do not combine the general information collected through cookies with other Personal Information to tell us who you are or what your screen name or email address is.
SHARING OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION USING THE SERVICE
The Service is primarily designed to help you share information, including your location, with others. This not only includes the information that you provide directly to KarmaKey, but also information that you broadcast to third party services using the Service. You can control your information through your privacy settings accessible through the ‘settings’ tab once you’re logged into the Service.
Information you submit to the Service will be available to users of the Service that you allow to access such information (friends etc.). Your name and profile picture thumbnail will be available in search results across the Service network and those limited pieces of information may be made available to third party search engines. This is primarily so your friends can find you and send a friend request. People who see your name in searches, however, will not be able to access your information unless they have a relationship to you (friends etc.) that allows such access based on your privacy settings.
Please remember that if you choose to provide personal information using certain features of the Service, that information is governed by the privacy settings of those particular features and, unless selected otherwise, may be available to the wider KarmaKey community or may be published on the KarmaKey website, which is subject to indexing by third party search engines. Individuals reading this information may use or disclose it to other individuals or entities without our control and without your knowledge. Therefore, we urge you to think carefully about including any specific information you may deem private in Shouts or Tips or other user-inputted content that you create in the Service (location or otherwise).
While the Service does allow you to note your location at restaurants, bars, stores (and so) throughout your community, at no time does KarmaKey ask you to provide your home address, only your home zip code. You should be aware that if you or your friends add your home as a new venue in the Service database and that information is published on the Service (for example, via a user checking in to that home venue), that information may be published by third parties without our control.
Will KarmaKey Share Any of the Personal Information it Receives?
Personal Information about our customers is an integral part of our business. We neither rent nor sell your Personal Information to anyone. We may share your Personal Information only as described below.
Affiliated Businesses We Do Not Control: We are affiliated with a variety of businesses and work closely with them. In certain situations, these businesses sell items or provide promotions to you through KarmaKey’s Service. In other situations, KarmaKey provides services, or sells products jointly with affiliated businesses. You can easily recognize when an affiliated business is associated with your transaction, and we will share your Personal Information that is related to such transactions with that affiliated business, if you have agreed to be solicited by marketing partners during the registration process.
Agents: We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide products or services to you. Unless we tell you differently, KarmaKey’s agents do not have any right to use Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us. You hereby consent to our sharing of Personal Information for the above purposes.
User profiles: User profile information including user name, Twitter account name, Facebook account name, and other information you enter may be displayed to other users to facilitate user interaction within the Service. Users’ email addresses will not be directly revealed to other users by Company, except, when the user is “connected” to another user as a Friend and chooses to email them from within the Service.
Communication in response to User Submissions: As part of the Service, you will receive from Company email and other communication relating to your User Submissions. You acknowledge and agree that by posting such User Submissions, Company may send you email and other communication that it determines in its sole discretion relate to your User Submissions. The Company also will use your email to send you updates on when your KarmaKey friends check-in, when you receive a new friend request, and a KarmaKey newsletter – however, you can opt out of all of these communications on your Settings page.
Promotional Offers: As part of the Service you may be exposed to offers on behalf of other businesses. However, when we do so, we do not give the other business your name and address.
Invitations: When you invite someone to join the KarmaKey community, please be aware that we will disclose your real name, as an invitation containing your name will be sent to the email address of the person you wish to invite. This information is necessary to make sure your invitee knows who has contacted them. To build a community based on trust and empathy, we feel this disclosure is necessary.
Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, customer information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if KarmaKey, or substantially all of its assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that KarmaKey goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, customer information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of KarmaKey may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
Protection of KarmaKey and Others: We may release Personal Information when we believe in good faith that release is necessary to comply with that law; enforce or apply our conditions of use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of KarmaKey, our employees, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
With Your Consent: Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your Personal Information may be shared with third parties, and will be able to prevent the sharing of this information.
Non-Private or Non-Personal Information: For clarity, we may share or disclose your non-private, aggregated or otherwise non-personal information, such as the number of users who checked in at a particular location (even if only one did).
Is Personal Information About me Secure?
Your KarmaKey account Personal Information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You need to prevent unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your password appropriately and limiting access to your computer and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account.
KarmaKey strives to protect user information to ensure that user account information is kept private, however, KarmaKey cannot guarantee the security of user account information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time.
What personal information can I access?
KarmaKey allows you to access the following information about you for the purpose of viewing, and in certain situations, updating that information. This list will change as our Service changes.
- Username and password
- Phone number
- Email address
- User profile information
- Usage information
DELETING YOUR ACCOUNT
Should you ever decide to delete your KarmaKey account, you may do so by contacting your local site administrator, or by clicking on the “delete your account” link on your account settings page. If you terminate your account, your profile, including any messages in your inbox and any promotional offers you received, will be removed from the site and deleted from KarmaKey’s servers. Because of the way we maintain KarmaKey, such deletion may not be immediate, and residual copies of your profile information or posts may remain on backup media.
What Choices Do I Have?
- As stated previously, you can always opt not to disclose information to us, even though it may be needed to take advantage of certain KarmaKey features.
- You are able to add or update certain information on pages, such as those listed in the “What Personal Information Can I Access” section above. When you update information, however, we may maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records.
- You delete your account via your account settings page. Please note that KarmaKey will need to verify that you have the authority to delete the account, and some information may remain in our records after deletion of your account.
Questions or Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy using the Service, please send us a detailed message to support@KarmaKey.com. We will make every effort to resolve your concerns.
Effective Date: June 18, 2010